Celtic suffered their first league loss of the season at Saints

Celtic suffered their first Premier League loss in a year thanks to a shock 2-0 defeat to St Mirren at Paisley.

House captain Mark O’Hara headed the Sants ahead two minutes into the first half as the Hoops were a lot changing.

Burleigh Buddies striker Juna Ayunga, who gave the visiting defense a difficult afternoon, headed in the second in the 53rd minute and Ange Postecoglou’s men had no answers.

It was a massive win for Stephen Robinson’s resilient and well-organised side – St Mirren’s first home league win over Celtic since March 2010 – and ended Hobbs’ unbeaten league record that extended to a 1-0 away defeat at Livingstone. September 19, 2021.

Celtic went into the international break by two points over old rivals Rangers at the top of the league and perhaps that was a reminder that there is still a lot of work to do to retain their title.

It’s three games without a win for Celtic in all competitions

After a 1-1 draw with Shakhtar Donetsk in the Champions League on Wednesday night, Postecoglou made the changes with former Saints player Aaron Mooy, Anthony Ralston, Stephen Welch, David Turnbull, Daisen Maeda and Lil Abada, while Scott Tanser joined. Richard Tate replaced Saint Mirren.

Celtic supporters chanted “if you hate the royal family clap your hands” during a minute of clapping in memory of Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom before the match and a banner echoing the same sentiment.

The ball was compressed from end to end in the early stages, and in one attack of the hoops, Turnbull’s header from Greg Taylor’s cross flew wide.

Celtic had the upper hand with periods of pressure but St Mirren did not give in and pushed forward sporadically and shortly before the break they took a fine goal.

Midfielder Keanu Backus was played by fellow Australian Ryan Stryn on the right and a deep cross header was shown by the unmarked O’Hara who evaded Mooy’s attention.

Full match details

It was no surprise that Postecoglou made changes in the first half, with Portuguese winger Jota and Japanese midfielder Rio Hatat replacing Mooy and Maeda.

There was an attempt by the Parkhead guys to increase the tempo but they were again surprised when the Saints doubled their lead.

Celtic’s defense failed to deal with a long throw in from Declan Gallagher, and striker Curtis Maine jumped to close in on Ionga’s header from close range.

Postecoglou looked to the bench again and strikers Giorgos Giakoumakis and Sead Haksabanovic came in instead of Turnbull and Abada.

One hour on the hour mark, St Mirren goalkeeper Trevor Carson skewed Hattat’s skewed shot off but at the other end, moments later, O’Hara sent a cross past the post from six yards.

With Celtic ratcheting up the pressure, Carson parried Giacomakis and Taylor’s header from distance.

Taylor was replaced by Matt O’Reilly in the 74th minute when Postecoglou went on to break but the Saints remained defensive back as they held out to hand a rare league defeat to the Champions.