Derry City is now just one point off the top after Duffy’s magical win

Derry City 1

Bohemians 0

Simon Collins reports

Michael Duffy’s stunning goal against the Bohemians put Derry City back in second place and breathed new life into the First Division title race.

The winger curled his right foot into the top corner of the net in the 39th minute to send Derry one point ahead of leaders Shamrock Rovers.

It wasn’t a comfortable night in Foilside for the hosts, as Brian Maher pulled off a stunning save from Ethon Varian, but the result propelled Candystrips to second place, overtaking Dundalk, who fell in a shock defeat to bottom line UCD in Belfield. .

Rovers, who plays with Finn Harps in Tallaght on Sunday, are two games away from their nearest rival, but will no doubt move nervously on his shoulders as Derry extends his unbeaten run to 13.

The Brandiwell game was the only football match to be played in the North this weekend, as the Northern Ireland Football League (NIFL) postponed all league matches as a sign of respect following the death of Queen Elizabeth II.

It’s been slow for the neutral fans watching RTE’s live coverage of football overhaul at the weekend with Derry designing the best limited chances in the early stages.

Ryan Graydon found space on the right wing before cutting it back into Patrick McCleney’s way at the edge of the Bush penalty area. The city chief entered the Akintunde Road but his touch was heavy and the Bohs managed to clear the danger.

There was a delay in play seven minutes after Derry defender Kiaran Cole embarrassedly fell after a high-ball fight with Ali Kuteh.

Cole received treatment on the field and after a 14-minute pause during which Cole was treated on the field, the player was thrown off on a stretcher and taken to Altnagelvin Hospital by ambulance. The play resumed with Shane McClane replacing the City defender and McGannet switching to left-back.

Mark Connolly celebrates victory.

Source: Evan Treacy / INPHO

The prolonged hiatus disrupted the flow of the match as both teams struggled to reach their stride.

It took a little magic to spark the match to life, and Duffy gave it a stunning shot inside his right foot in the 39th minute to give Derry the lead.

Bohs failed to clear the ball out of the corner and when Shane McEleney cut the ball back towards the edge of the penalty area where Duffy was lurking, the winger hit it for the first time and directed the ball from inside the far post before it fell into the net.

It was a superb strike and Duffy’s second goal in successive league games as he returned to the top after recovering from a broken leg he sustained last March.

With 14 minutes of extra time at the end of the first half, Ronan Boyce, who scored when the two teams last met at Dalymount Park, almost added a second with four of those extra minutes remaining but he swept over the bar from close range from a corner kick. .

Bohs should have been back on his terms six minutes into the second half when Coote sent dangerously toward the back post from a corner kick and Feely knocked out his leg but headed over the bar.

At the other end, Patrick McCleary ran on a quick run that kept him off three Bohs defenders before pressing on goal and his shot hit the hands of John McCracken who gathered on the second try.

Derry was starting to slip through the gears and when Graydon passed Trek Wilson on the right, he cut six yards as Feely produced a nice sliding interception to smash Akintunde on target.

Akintunde then turned provider when he crossed dangerously in the face of the goal and Duffy was painfully close to a goal-tapping at the back post.

what are they
Really like?

Rare insights into the biggest sports names from the writers they know best. Listen to behind the lines Audio notation.

Become a member

With all of Derry’s dominance, the hosts needed Ireland Under-21 international goalkeeper Brian Maher to maintain their tight lead in the 62nd minute. Liam Burt’s through ball cut through Derry’s defense and found Ethon Varian in space 12 yards from goal but his low shot was well saved. With Maher’s outstretched leg.

Shane McClane was penalized for a foul just on the edge of the penalty area and substitute John O’Sullivan played a short free kick to Wilson who fired into the side netting from a tight angle.

Burt wreaked havoc on Derry’s defense as he ran unopposed to the near post and snipped the ball toward the back post where Varian was waiting to pounce but Boyce finely intercepted him.

Graydon forced a save from McCracken with a powerful right-footed effort 25 yards from goal as Derry tried to seal the victory with five minutes remaining.

In injury time, McGillini found McGonigle’s path with a cross from 60 yards, and the striker, looking for his first league goal since May 23, hit the far corner and veered off the post to leave a corner.

Bohs forced a corner kick in the last minute of the added four, and despite goalkeeper McCracken who came in to add an additional threat to the attack, Derry was able to turn away and Brandiwell’s men secured a precious victory.

Derry City: Maher. Boyce, Connolly, McJanet (Lafferty 83), Cole (S. McEleney 21); Graydon, Dummigan, Diallo (Patching 77), Duffy; P. McEleney; J. Akintunde (McGonigle 72): Subs Not Used – Lemoignan, Thomson, B. Kavanagh, McEneff, C. Kavanagh.

Bohemians: McCracken. Wilson, Philly, Kelly, Doherty (Murphy 68), Cote (O’Sullivan 62), Burt (Mullins 89), Livingston (McManus 89), Clark, Varian, Towardick (McMaid 45+15); Subs not in use – Ryan, Kerr, Burke, Okuson.

Referee: Neil Doyle (Dublin)