Derry finds extra gear to get 10 men’s hoops out of the cup

Derry City booked their place in the FA Cup semi-finals with a narrow victory over ten-man Shamrock Rovers.

After taking the lead thanks to Jimmy McGonigle’s header; Rovers leveled things up through Rory Gaffney to move the equalizer into extra time before goals by Daniel Lafferty and Brandon Kavanagh sealed the victory for Roydery Higgins’ men.

Derry missed a golden opportunity to break the deadlock against his title rivals in six minutes as Will Buching’s deep free kick from the left found Cameron Domigan, who settled into the back corner, but his shot from close range was straight at Rovers’ goalkeeper. Leon Pauls.

City took the lead in the 19th minute as central defender Mark Connolly found himself free at the back post and a clever cross pass from the left wing managed to hit Jimmy McGonigle, who did not commit a mistake, heading his first goal in eight games.

Woodwork came to the Rovers’ rescue minutes later when Domigan’s stunning 25-yard drive, which defeated Buhls, crashed off the crossbar.

At 38 minutes Derry should have added a second but Patching missed a second penalty against Rovers in a matter of weeks.

Hoops were reduced to ten after Lee Grace knocked Patrick McCleney inside the penalty area to clear the penalty but Patching’s penalty kick hit the crossbar.

Derry started the second half with a front foot and a clever flick by Patching and found Ronan Boyce, but the defenders made a hit on the slide collected by Bullseye.

Just before the clock ticked away, the guests came close to settling things but Rory Gaffney’s comfortable shot was shot by Brian Maher.

Pohls was called into action moments later when McGonigle seized McJannet’s field with his head down, before the German goalkeeper parried a left-footed shot.

The ten men equalized in 66 minutes after a wonderful movement that saw Neil Farrugia storm into the penalty area before cutting the ball to Andy Lyons. His first attempt was blocked only by Mahir and Gaffney was on hand to blow up the house at close range.

In the later stages of regular time I found a corner for Michael Duffy McGannet, but his peeking header flashed right past the Bulls’ left post.

With the last kick almost in the 90th minute, Derry came close to winning but substitute Joe Thompson was unable to maintain his header in the fall.

But the hosts got back to the front in the 96th minute when Duffy’s corner in the six-yard box found Lafferty, who jumped like salmon before making a powerful comeback past Buhls.

Brandiwell’s men sealed their place in the last four matches at 110 minutes when Akintunde found Brandon Kavanagh, who slashed far down the right before cutting into the penalty area and blasting low past the Pohls.

Derry City: Brian Maher, Ronan Boyce, Mark Connolly, Shane McClane (Daniel Lafferty 73), Cameron McGannett; Sado Diallo (Brandon Kavanaugh 83), Patrick McClane, Will Patching (Joe Thompson 71); Cameron Domigan, Jamie McGonigle (James Ackentund 71), Michael Duffy (Ryan Graydon 114).

Shamrock Rovers: Leon Pauls, Sean Gannon, Dan Cleary, Lee Grace; Neil Farrugia (Dylan Watts 97), Sean Kavanaugh, Chris McCann (Ronan Finn 83), Jack Byrne (Graham Burke 87), Andy Lyons; Aaron Green (Gary O’Neal 40), Rory Gaffney (Simon Power 87 – Gideon Tetteh 105).

Rule: Rob Hennessy