Shelburne pounced on Bohs to book his place in the FA Cup semi-finals

Goals from Jack Moylan and Sean Boyd (2) Shelburne scored their first timely victory over their north Dublin rival in five matches this season and earned him the award for his first FA Cup semi-final appearance in 10 years.

After losing on penalties to Athletic St Patrick in last year’s final, this Dublin derby defeat means the Bohemians’ season without a coach is over.

With Tulka Park sinking into the September sun, Shelburne’s squad of 3,600 had control of the first half on their side, despite a golden opportunity missed five minutes later.

Matty Smith and Shane Farrell advanced well down the left flanking the visitors’ defense. The ball fell to Shells striker Boyd, who was left with his head in his hands as he launched his plane over the top from barely six yards.

A sloppy defense gave the Bohemians their only goal in the first half after six minutes.

Shane Griffin’s foul on Declan McDade gave Tarek Wilson the opportunity to get the resulting free kick from wide.

Despite the poor surface, Shelburne comfortably outperformed the midfield struggle and was soon given another chance.

Gavin Molloy found Boyd in a pocket of space whose quick shot was just wide.

If some calm was lacking, he turned up in abundance in the 20th minute when Shelburne deserved to take the lead with a superb goal.

John Ross Wilson fed midfielder Moylan who worked a double with Smith to run into the area and a stinging rifle past John McCracken to the roof of the net.

The 21-year-old celebrated with outstretched arms in front of the Bohemian fans, a sign of his injury not being given a fair chance in his five years there under Keith Long.

It is unfortunate that the talented attacking midfielder’s match took place after 13 minutes when he had to come off injury.

His replacement, Brian McManus, almost made an immediate impact, as he forced a save from McCracken in the 36th with a left-footed shot that cracked from distance.

It was a delay for the careless Bohemia defense as they conceded the second goal two minutes later.

Farrell’s deep cross from the left was allowed to bounce right across the Roma six-yard area and Boyd reached the far post for a gleeful shot into the net.

Four substitutions in the first half summed up what interim managers Derek Bender and Trevor Crowley thought of the Bohemians’ shocking first-half performance.

And they had McCracken’s vigilance to thank for finding themselves no more than six minutes behind, and the goalkeeper scrambled away from his line to block Boyd, who looked at goal from JJ Looney’s ball over the top.

It was the 71st minute before the Bohemians hit a shot on goal, Brendan Clarke appeared to get the tip of a finger touching Jordan Flores’ shot on the post.

A minute later, Shiels sealed his victory.

Boyd bumped into a Ciaran Kelly foul to run, skipping over Rory Philly and taking the ball under McCracken.

Shelburne will find out his opponents in the semi-finals after the draw for the quarter-finals takes place after the quarter-finals between Derry City and Shamrock Rovers.

First-tier teams Waterford and Institute United booked their place in the semi-finals on Friday after defeating Division One Dundalk and UCD respectively.

Shelburne: Brendan Clark; Shane Griffin, Luke Byrne, Cameron Ledwidge; John Ross Wilson, Gavin Molloy, J. J. Looney, Shane Farrell; Jack Moylan (Brian McManus 33), Matty Smith (Odd Dervin 82); Sean Boyd (Dan Carr 86).

Bohemians: John McCracken; Jordan Doherty (Max Murphy HT), Rory Philly, Ciaran Kelly, Tyrick Wilson (Ryan Burke 64); Conor Livingston, James Clark (Chris Tordick ht); John O’Sullivan (Jordan Flores ht), Liam Burt, Declan McDaid (Ally Coote ht); Ethon Varian.

Rule: Rob Harvey (Dublin).

Full match details