Sweetnam on the song with the Courceys career

Late Richard Sweetnam-Khali in the sixth minute of stoppage time secured Corsi Rovers a semi-final date against Fermoy as he outplayed Baleha in the Co-op Superstores Cork SAHC quarter-final at Páirc Uí Chaoimh this evening.

Balehi had come from behind by four points in the first half to tie the match 0-13 each with 12 minutes remaining, and from there it looked like there would be no separation between the two sides during a dramatic final. Sweetnam and Balihia Talisman, Pa O’Callaghan exchanged points to equalize again before Eugene O’Leary gave Avondo’s team the lead for the first time.

Sweetnam then leveled them before John Morrissey puts Ballyhea ahead as the clock ticks in the red. Enter Courcey’s goalkeeper, Stephen Nyhan, who had already missed a penalty and a brilliant save from Morrissey. On a rare foray into the net, he missed fifty yards and duly sent it over the bar to settle the bout for a fifth time.

It was a stampede from there, with Ballyhea’s Tom Hanley popping up all over before Sweetnam sealed the deal with his twelfth point of the evening. There was a final attack on Ballyhea, but he was swallowed up by a sea of ​​red and white as the rovers’ existence was not denied.

Last year’s PIHC champions hit the ground running here, taking four points in the first four minutes with four different players scoring. Richard Sweetnam opened the scoring for free before Brendan Ryan, Sean Twoomey, and Ulan Crowley all found their playgroup. Electric start promised a free-flowing game, but that promise slowly dissipated as the half progressed, as both sides relied on laid balls to achieve their goals.

As always, Pa O’Callaghan was in freestyle for Ballyhea and succeeded in his first three efforts while Sweetnam gave another Courceys 0-5 to 0-3 with ten plays. A strong streak of Twomey then resulted in Sweetnam being awarded a penalty, but Mikey Browne brilliantly saved from fellow ‘goalkeeper Stephen Nyhan to keep Ballyhea in touch.

Sweetnam flagged the score ’65, and broke free two more times as Ballyhea’s broad tally started to rise – they scored 11 in the first half alone. However, they managed to close the gap until the break as scores from Tom Hanley and Dionne Curtin added two more points from O’Callaghan. Meanwhile, Sweetnam’s two more balls and Nyhan’s vacant were placed leading Carrigdhoun 0-11 to 0-7 in the first half.

But that lead was short-lived, as two O’Callaghan freed from the points tally Maurice O’Sullivan and Dean Cobbs to tie the match for the first time. They’d level up four more times from there, until Sweetnam’s gentle stroke saw Courcey Rovers take their place in the final four.

Corsi Rovers scorers: R Sweetnam (0-12, 0-2 65 seconds, 0-10 freestyle), S Nyhan (0-2 freestyle), O Crowley, S Twomey and B Ryan (0-1 each)

Ballyhea scorers: B O’Callaghan (0-8, 0-1′ 65, 0-1s/L, 0-6 Freestyle), M O’Sullivan (0-2), Tom Hanley, John Morrissey, De Curtin, E.O.’ Leary and J. Morrissey Woody Cops 0-1 each.

Corsi Rovers: S Nyhan C. Daly, B. Collins, B. Mulcahy; Collins, F.; Lordan, C. Roche; DJ Twomey, M. Collins; J O’Neill, S Twomey, O Crowley, T O’Sullivan (c), R Sweetnam, B Ryan.

Subs: R Nyhan for O’Neill (39 min), J McCarthy for L Collins (55 min), K Collins for Mulcahy (Injuries, 65 min)

ballet: Brown M. Barrett, M. Morrissey, L. Hanley; C. Cox, Tom Hanley, Ternan Hanley; J Copps, M O’Sullivan; Curtin, P; O’Callaghan (c), John Morrissey; Jack Morrissey, E. O’Leary, C. Hanley.

Subs: J Morrissey for C Hanley (28 minutes, injury), D Coops for M Morrissey (32 minutes), L Crowley for Jack Morrissey (42 minutes)

Rule: Ian McCarthy (Bandon).